One of KTJ's five Strategic Themes within Vision 2030 is to champion sustainability, with a specific target of reaching carbon neutral by 2025.

By embedding sustainability as a learning theme in the curriculum and prioritising sustainability in our decision-making, we hope to develop responsible student leaders who actively contribute to the betterment of society and the world around them.

Planet Mark 

The first step towards achieving our goal of becoming a carbon neutral school was to measure our overall carbon footprint with the help of Planet Mark. We have set a target to reduce emissions by 5% annually. Over the next year, we will be working towards reducing our carbon emissions and sharing our journey with the community to help inspire other schools in Malaysia and around the world to do the same.

Here is our Sustainability and Outreach Officer, Lance Gerow, to tell us more: 

Solar panels 

In 2019, KTJ installed 3,000 solar panels which generate clean, renewable energy for our classrooms and boarding houses. Real-time data from our solar panels is available below: 

[Embed live feed from our solar panels]

Other initiatives 

Other impactful sustainability initiatives within KTJ include:  

• Student leadership: Eco Warriors in KTJ Primary and the Environmental and Sustainability Club ECA in KTJ Secondary provide students with an opportunity to raise awareness of environmental sustainability, organise events and raise money for charitable organisations. Each Boarding House also has a Sustainability and Outreach Student Representative who is responsible for promoting sustainable actions in their respective house.
  • Growing our own produce: The KTJ Garden in the Secondary School produces fresh fruit and vegetables which are regularly served in our Dining Hall. The Food & Nutrition Department also grow herbs for use in practical lessons. By growing our own produce, we help to increase students' awareness of where food comes from, whilst reducing the carbon footprint of food travel.
  • Banning single-use plastic: KTJ is in the process of eliminating all single-use plastics from campus. For example, Cafe Diem is encouraging students to bring in a reusable coffee cup for take-away orders and plastic straws and cups are no longer available.
  • Recycling scheme: Recycling bins for cardboard and paper, glass, plastic and tin are widely available on the KTJ campus, and students and staff in Primary and Secondary are encouraged to dispose of their rubbish mindfully. 
  • Community engagement: We keep the KTJ Community informed through regular updates in assemblies and newsletters. We also engage students and staff in whole-school events which are educational and fun, such as Earth Day. 
Flickr album: KTJ Sustainable | Height: auto | Theme: Default | Skin: Default - Transparent