At KTJ, we understand the importance of providing students with healthy and balanced meals to support academic achievement and overall well-being.

Each meal is carefully planned to ensure that our students have the energy they need to succeed in the classroom, and outside the classroom during sports and CCAs.

Healthy and Balanced Meals 

In the Primary School, a traffic light system has been implemented to teach students how to make healthy choices at lunchtime. Foods high in nutrients, fibre and whole foods, such as fruit and vegetables, are categorised as green. Students can select as many foods as they wish from the green section. Foods with some healthy nutrients are categorised as amber, and foods lowest in nutrients are categorised as red. Student can select up to two foods from the amber section and one food from the red section. 

Each week, the Catering Team serve a range of meat-free dishes in the Primary and Secondary School for Vegetarian Tuesday. This initiative contributes to KTJ's environmental sustainability goals, whilst educating students and staff on the many health benefits of eating plant-based foods. 

Personal, Social, Health, Economic Education (PSHEE)

Healthy eating and lifestyles are topics covered in the Primary PSHE and Secondary PSHEE curriculum. Students will learn about: 

• the importance of nutrition for fuelling our bodies and supporting academic achievement 
  • what happens to our bodies when we are malnourished or dehydrated
  • how to enjoy all foods in moderation as part of a healthy diet 
  • how we can make our meals more balanced and healthy 

Nutrition is also taught alongside topics such as sleep hygiene, the benefits of exercise and mental health, in order to promote well-rounded and healthy lifestyles. 

Elsewhere in the curriculum

IGCSE Food and Nutrition

The Cambridge IGCSE Food and Nutrition syllabus provides theoretical and practical lessons in buying food, different diets, producing balanced meals and understanding the nutritional value of basic foods. For the practical exam, students research and design a menu based on a specific brief, such as a healthy meal for a teenager. Students are then required to cook five plates of food in two and a half hours. 

IGCSE Physical Education (PE)

The Cambridge IGCSE Physical Education syllabus requires students to monitor, log and analyse three components of performance nutrition. Students develop a performance nutrition plan which is designed for an athlete competing in a specific sport. The plan must provide a balance of the three macronutrients (carbohydrates, fat and protein), as well as the right amount of micronutrients (vitamins, minerals and water), through optimal food and beverage choices.