MENU
CLOSE
Contact Us
Engage Login
Frog
Payment
Twitter
Facebook
Flickr
Youtube
HOME KTJ SECONDARY STUDENT SUPPORT ENGLISH AS AN ADDITIONAL LANGUAGE (EAL)

EAL Support

EAL SUPPORT

EAL signifies ‘English as an Additional Language’. ‘Additional’ acknowledges that many of KTJ’s learners – whether from Malaysia or from other multilingual backgrounds- communicate in several languages, and that English may be a second, third or even fourth language for these learners. Their backgrounds are valued and appreciated, and all multilingual communicators are regarded as diverse and unique funds of knowledge within the school community.

EAL is offered to learners who need, with regards to English language acquisition, extra support (as well as focused English language teaching and learning strategies) to access effectively, confidently and successfully curricular and extra-curricular programmes at KTJ.

Depending on a learner’s needs, EAL support may be provided in one, or a number of, the following ways:

• taught classes (from one to ten lessons per week) in groups of 10 EAL learners or less, where an interactive and communicative teaching and learning approach aims to develop speaking, listening, reading and writing skills for academic and non-academic contexts.
  • taught classes (from one to six lessons per week) in groups of 10 EAL learners or less, where teaching and learning approaches focus on having learners ameliorate their English through use of relevant subject language in authentic subject contexts, while acquiring control of the academic genres specific to these subjects.
  • in-class subject support, where EAL teachers, as co-teachers, work with subject teachers to ensure that learners can:
    • understand, and stay on, tasks
    • identify, understand and use key terminology (in-class subject support may be complemented by review and preview lessons with EAL teachers).
    • engage well with peers in group work 
  • one-on-one support

Expectations for, and of, EAL learners are high. The methods of support listed above, combined with collaborative planning between EAL teachers and subject teachers, enable the KTJ teaching team to be resourceful in creating strategies which allow expectations to be met and which, in turn, render it possible for EAL learners to engage as full, confident and happy members of the school community. It is the responsibility of all teachers at KTJ to support, and bring out the very best in, EAL learners.  

EAL in the Sixth Form

IELTS Preparation Course

Preparation classes for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) are provided for Sixth Form students at KTJ who do not have an English language qualification for the universities to which they are applying. IELTS preparation classes develop all four English macro-skills (listening, reading, writing and speaking) and explore a wide range of exam techniques so that students can complete all parts of the test successfully. In so doing, students acquire control of many of the academic genres they will encounter at university. At KTJ, preparation for writing also focuses on developing students’ abilities to analyse questions, build coherent arguments and draw logical conclusions. Throughout the course, students receive detailed teacher feedback, and learn to assess their own work, either independently or with peers, by establishing accurate links between their mock IELTS tests and IELTS assessment criteria. 

SAT Preparation Course

This course is designed to help Sixth Form KTJ students prepare effectively for the Reading and Writing sections of the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), an examination that is used for university admissions throughout the United States. Students are first given a diagnostic test so that their strengths and areas for improvement may be identified accurately. The course then focuses on providing students with the guidance they need to maximise their scores by helping them set individual targets, develop personalised study plans and make successful use of various test-taking strategies. Finally, while working tactically through sample questions and practice tests from the test-maker (the College Board), students develop competent techniques for vocabulary-building, structuring grammatically correct sentences, reading critically, speed-reading and writing essays. Because strong critical thinking skills are crucial for success in both the Reading and Writing sections of the SAT, students are given plenty of opportunities to work jointly with teachers and peers, and then independently, on text analysis, topic development and sound argument construction. 

The KTJ teachers are constantly inspiring and motivating the students
Sixth Form
Sixth Form